Sunday, November 01, 2009

Trick or Treat!

Happy Halloween, everybody! I hope you had a delightfully tasty evening! I am happy to say that, since Nate arrived, Moms has abandoned her efforts to make me and Archy dress up for the big day. Thankfully, she has turned her efforts to Dads and my baby brother and makes them get all gussied up for the holiday.

For his first Halloween, Nate was Indiana Jones and Dads dressed up has Indy's father, Dr. Henry Walton Jones.

While I have never seen the Indiana Jones movie, I have helped Dads play the Indiana Jones Lego Playstation II game. I gotta say, Nate looked a lot like Lego Indy. Moms made Nate a whip out of duct tape and rope, and got him a pleather jacket from H&M. Moms also insisted on singing the Indiana Jones theme song wherever Nate went. (Du du du du, du du du....)
Admittedly, I don't understand this dressing up thing, but I did think Nate was pretty cute. That was until Moms thought it would be a good idea for me to get in on the action. See, apparently Indiana Jones comes across all sorts of ferocity on his adventures. So Moms thought it would be "cute" if Indy attacked a wild lion on his adventures.
Did I mention that I don't get this dressing up thing? I didn't want to play along. I mean, really - like Nate could conquer me. Look at us - I'm twice Nate's size! So I just played dead, hoping folks would leave me out of this. Eventually, they gave up trying to engage me when Nate asked to count up his Halloween booty.
Nate thought this was quite a haul. He got a Hershey's bar from Auntie Marcia and Uncle Greg, and a dollar bill that fell out of Dads' pocket when he was fumbling for the keys. My first instinct was to tell Nate that this stunk - he should have a pumpkin brimming over with treats. But then my protective big brother instincts took over. Why teach my super happy baby brother disappointment when I could spend that energy in getting myself some Halloween treats?

Let me backtrack for a moment here. Nate's started to eat. Yeah, he still drinks milk but he now also eats rice cereal, carrots, and apples. He chows them. He LOVES them. (Proof that he really is my brother.) Anyhow. Nate eats them sitting in a chair. When this change started to happen, I thought, "Oh! If you sit by the chair, you get vittles!" Apparently, not so. I sat by the chair for a long time. The only thing that happened was Moms taking a picture of me, and patting me on the head saying, "Aw! Isn't that cute? John's waiting to feed Nate."

For the record, I was not waiting to feed Nate. I was waiting to be fed. Anyhoo....

So Halloween rolled around and I thought, "Gee. My brother's been getting all this extra food and all Archy and me have been getting is our regular half can of wet food and kibbles. When do we get extra food?" So I decided to play a trick on Moms and Dads to get a treat. (Is that so bad?)

Moms was napping and I told Dads, "Gee. I'm starving. And it's Halloween! Might you feed us some Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys for the occasion?" (Though Moms got laid off, we're still having the good stuff for special events.) Dads said, "Right you are, John! A treat is in order!" And, voila! A half can of Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys appeared in each of our dinner dishes for me and Archy.

Well. Moms gets up from her nap and me and Archy run over to her, you know, to say, "HI!" And I say, "Gee, Moms! I'm starving! And it's Halloween! Might you feed us some Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys for the occasion?" And wouldn't you know it, SHE FELL FOR IT! So Archy and I got the good stuff TWICE! Moms and Dads only figured it out after Moms served us our second supper. It was great. Brilliant, even! I will have to try this trick again. Like tonight....

Hope your Halloween was filled with only treats - or tricks that got you extra treats!

Your pal,
JohnJohn

1 comment:

Kelly Loy Gilbert said...

Just found your blog :) Those are SUCH cute costumes! Sigh, if only Halloween weren't so far away ;)